War of the Burning Sands
- When casting an arcane encounter or daily power, the caster must choose to either preserve or defile (see below). Defiling magic is easy and intoxicating, but it destroys or damages the life from which a spell draws power. Preserving is much more difficult, requiring discipline and care, but it avoids harming the world around the caster.
- Use of any kind of magic is illegal in the vast majority of city-states. For this reason, magic users should make an effort to hide their abilities in a reasonable manner (opposed Bluff check; Dark Sun p80), lest they be persecuted and hunted.
You draw upon the vitality of nearby life to fuel your magic, heedless of the harm you cause to the land and to friend and foe alike.
- At-Will, Arcane, Necrotic.
- Free Action, Personal
- Trigger: You make an attack or damage roll as part of an arcane encounter or daily power.
- Effect: You can reroll the triggering roll but must use the second result. In addition, each living creature within (10 + ½ your level) squares of you takes necrotic damage equal to your healing surge value. This damage ignores immunities and cannot be reduced in any way. Minions are instead stunned by this effect until the end of their next turn.
- Special: You can choose to reroll your attack, damage, or both, but only for one attack per turn and the necrotic damage is dealt only once per turn. Terrain in a close burst (1+ ½ level) of the caster is drained of all vitality and becomes defiled terrain. No plant life will grow in defiled terrain for (10 x spell level) years. All defiled terrain has the Sickening Heat property (Effect: A creature that ends its turn in a square of sickening heat is weakened until the end of its next turn). In addition, if the attack is a critical hit, the defiled terrain gains the Black Sand property (Effect: A creature in a square of black sand regains half the normal number of hit points).
You carefully channel vitality of nearby life, cycling it through your body and mind, directing it into your spell. Through sheer willpower, you become a two-way conduit for life force, sustaining your own spellcasting and returning life force to nearby creatures and plants. This is no easy task, and sometimes you are forced to draw upon your own energies in order to avoid defiling.
- At-Will, Arcane, Radiant.
- Free Action, Personal
- Trigger: You make an attack roll as part of an arcane encounter or daily power.
- Effect: You are forced to make an Arcana check in order to cast your spell. If you fail this check, you must draw upon your own life-force in order to preserve, making an Endurance check. If the triggering spell is an encounter power, the DC for both of these checks is (10 + ½ your level). If the triggering spell is a daily power, the DC for both of these checks is (15 + ½ your level). If you succeed on the Arcana check, the spell is cast as normal. If you fail the Arcana check but succeed on the Endurance check, the spell is cast as normal. If you fail both of these checks, you lose one healing surge. If you have no healing surges remaining, you lose HP equal to your healing surge value.